On Conversations: WHERE DID WE GO WRONG by Monica Mathis-Stowe #AAMBookclub



Best friends Gabby, Maxine and Joy protect each other at all costs, even if it means keeping secrets that turn their lives upside down. Gabby has no boundaries when it comes to getting what she wants. She pulls out every trick in the book to keep her daughter’s married father out of their lives but keep his money in her bank account…Maxine lives for her family but when her husband’s excessive spending lands them in more debt than they can handle, the stress takes a toll on their perfect marriage…After Joy’s loyalty to her controlling mother causes her to lose the only man she’s ever loved, she marries a man she barely knows. After her wedding, she quickly realizes she made the biggest mistake of her life and it puts everybody she loves in danger. Unfortunately, someone will have to pay the ultimate price with their life. 


Excerpt:
The bond between girlfriends, best friends, is unbreakable, Joy thought as she zigzagged and weaved through the Beltway traffic. She drove as fast and as calmly as she could with Gabby huffing and puffing through her labor pains in the passenger seat. Her normally light-skinned complexion turned a pale shade of red with each contraction, but she still managed to look beautiful through all her pain.

Joy glanced through her rear-view mirror at Maxine, who had decided to follow Joy and Gabby to the hospital in her minivan, in case she needed to leave to tend to her family. She had already let three cars jump between her minivan and Joy’s car. Since her friend didn’t know how to get to the hospital, Joy thought Maxine would have attempted to follow her more closely. Drivers were definitely taking advantage of her careful driving, with the many “Caution-Baby on Board” stickers plastered to her bumper. She was so far behind, Joy couldn’t see her anymore.

When Joy arrived at the hospital’s emergency room entrance, she jumped out of her Toyota Corolla and ran inside the hospital to get help. Within seconds, she returned to the car with a nurse and an orderly pushing a wheelchair. She assisted Gabby into the hospital and left to find Maxine.

Back in her car, Joy pulled out her cell phone, and called Maxine. “Girl, where are you?” Joy asked, trying to sound calm. She didn’t want to make timid Maxine more nervous than she already was.

“I’m lost. You were driving so fast, I couldn’t keep up,” Maxine whined.
Joy shook her head. “What exit are you near?”

“I see a hospital sign. Should I take that exit?” Maxine asked anxiously.
Joy sighed in frustration. “Yeah, follow the signs to the hospital. I’m gonna park my car in the garage and meet you in the lobby.”

“Okay. Bye.” Maxine hit the End Call button on her steering wheel as she took the exit.
Joy hung up and sped toward the parking garage. She turned into the first available spot and ran back to the hospital. She didn’t want Gabby to be alone when she delivered.


Get to Know Monica:
Monica is a native of Washington, D.C., and a graduate of Nyack College with a degree in Organizational Management. When she’s not pounding the keyboard crafting her next novel, she works as an investigator in the metropolitan Washington area. She currently lives in Prince George’s County, Maryland, with her brave, sexy firefighter husband and their loving, handsome son.

Question 1: Have you always wanted to be a writer?
I always enjoyed reading novels, but decided I wanted to became a writer in my mid-teens after reading a chapter where the author described a scene so vividly, I actually thought I was there. I wanted that power-the ability to make people feel and experience life through my stories.

Question 2: Tell me about your book.
Where Did We Go Wrong? is my newly released romantic suspense novel. It is about best friends Gabby, Maxine and Joy who protect each other at all costs, even if it means keeping secrets that turn their lives upside down. Gabby has no boundaries when it comes to getting what she wants. She pulls out every trick in the book to keep her daughter’s married father out of their lives but keep his money in her bank account, while Maxine lives for her family but when her husband’s excessive spending lands them in more debt than they can handle, the stress takes a toll on their perfect marriage. After Joy’s loyalty to her controlling mother causes her to lose the only man she’s ever loved, she marries a man she barely knows. When the wedding is over, she quickly realizes she made the biggest mistake of her life and it puts everybody she loves in danger. Unfortunately, someone will have to pay the ultimate price with their life.

Question 3: What would you like your readers to get out of your book?
I want readers to experience the bond and the connection between these three women. They support each other as they deal with the challenges in their lives and relationships. No matter what they’re going through and no matter how wrong they are, they stick together and support each other through it. Their bond is admirable and I think every woman should have a friendships like theirs.

Question 4: Where did you get the inspiration to write your book?
The relationships I have with my girlfriends inspired me to write this book. I wanted to tell a story about everyday women going through issues and difficulties in their lives and how their girlfriends helped them through it. I read so many novels and hear about reality television shows that focus on creating chaos and conflict between women and that’s not good. I wrote this book to show the positive side of true friendship between women.

Question 5: What sets your book apart from other books in the same genre?
If you love African-American romance novels or urban fiction in general, then this one should be on your must read list! The three main characters are strong, independent and educated women who go through enough conflict and drama to keep you turning the pages. Reading Where Did We Go Wrong? will take you on a roller coaster of emotions. This novel is a combination of drama, comedy, suspense and romance with enough sizzling sex scenes to keep you wanting more. It’s definitely in a genre of its own.

Question 6: As an author, what is your writing process? How long did it take you to start and finish your book?
I try to write every day. I would love to write every day, but it doesn’t always happen. Sometimes life gets in the way. Before I start writing, I listen to music to arrange my thoughts for the scene. Sometimes I listen to the same song over and over until I can create the scene in my head. Once I have it, I turn the music off and start pecking at the keyboard until the chapter is done or until my family needs me. It took me four months to write the first draft of Where Did We Go Wrong? and a year of rewrites and edits to complete it.

Question 7: What’s next for you?
I’m currently finishing the sequel to Where Did We Go Wrong? and I just completed an outline for a new novel, The Firefighters’ Wives. I have a lot of stories inside of me and I’m just getting started. This won’t be the last you’ve heard from me.

Web-links:
Email address for readers to contact me: MonicaMathisStowe@yahoo.com
Links to where book can be purchased:
paperback purchase – www.MonicaMathisStowe.com and Amazon.com

This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate Program where the site owner receives payment/credit for books sold by clicking through to Amazon. Clicking on the slideshow or carousel will bring you directly to Amazon.